Anytime I’m gearing up to do a task that I don’t particularly want to do, my first inclination is to turn on a podcast. This entertaining experience, often times feels like you’re having a conversation with a few of your close friends. And it opens you up to multi-tasking while learning something new.
Whether you’re new to the podcasting world, or someone looking for something new to binge, here’s a list of my personal favorite podcasts:
Pop Culture Focus
- Call Your Girlfriend – Two long distance besties, Aminatou Sow and Ann Friedman talk pop culture, politics, and periods.
- The Read – Kid Fury and Crissle spill tea and throw shade on hip hop and pop culture. My favorite part of every episode is a ratchet “question and answer” segment.
- Pop Culture Happy Hour – This NPR podcast regularly reviews the movies, tv, and books the media is obsessing over with round table discussions from notable writers.
- Still Processing – New York Times culture podcast hosted by Times writers Jenna Wortham and Wesley Morris. They provide in-depth analysis with equal parts woo and hard-hitting research.
- Harry Potter and the Sacred Text – This heartwarming show helps listeners find meaning through a secular text that they love. If I’m ever feeling even remotely sad, this is my go-to “pick me up” podcast.
- Reply All – Hosted by PJ Vogt and Alex Goldman, this show is about the internet and its connection to modern life. The combination of their awkward humor and unique perspective brings me so much joy.
- Science VS – Your team of friendly fact checkers that blow up your firmly held opinions and replace them with science.
- The Secret Lives of Black Women – Lauren Domino and Charla Lauriston hunt for the ‘secrets’ that have helped black women flourish through the bullsh*t.
- Every Little Thing – This charming podcasts answers all of your burning questions with a delightfully optimistic slant.
- By The Book – Comedian Jolenta Greenberg and her skeptical friend Kristen Meinzer live by the rules of a different self-help book each episode.
- Nancy – Stories and conversations about the queer experience featuring co-hosts Tobin Low and Kathy Tu.
Business / Creative Career
- How I built This – Guy Raz dives into the stories behind some of the world’s best known companies. Binge listen if you ever want to start a business one day.
- Akimbo – I’ve been a fan of prolific blogger, Seth Godin, for the majority of my adult life. I love hearing him thoughtfully chat all things Marketing and Business.
- Start with This –
- Don’t Keep Your Dayjob – Host Cathy Heller interviews inspiring people that have created a life they love. She is one of the most motivational creatives I’ve encountered.
- What Works – A no-nonsense podcast about what really works to run, manage, and grow small businesses today hosted by Tara McMullin.
- Zig Zag – A podcast about changing the course of capitalism, journalism, and women’s lives featuring Manoush and Jen.
- The Liturgists Podcast – This podcast produces clarity and insight by looking at essential topics through the lenses of art, faith, and science. This is the way I do spirituality.
- The RobCast – A weekly podcast by Rob Bell–author, speaker, and former pastor. I love his heartfelt approach and his heretical views on the bible.
On Hiatus / Ended (but you should totally still binge)
- StartUp – A documentary series about entrepreneurial life. Every season follows an interesting entrepreneur trying to build a business.
- The Nod – Brittany Luse and Eric Eddings gleefully explore all the beautiful, complicated dimensions of Black life. (Note: There is a delightful episode dedicated to club classic “Knuck If You Buck.”)
What podcasts are you listening to? Let me know in our super secret Facebook group.