I had the opportunity to be super awkward on camera with fellow introvert Regina, my new favorite infopreneur. Her new series Go Independent highlights creative entrepreneurs that have taken the leap.
- The backstory: I’m a designer, writer, illustrator, strategist, and occasional photographer
- How I make money: Majority of my income comes from selling graphic and web design services.
- Favorite part of working for myself: I love being able to try new things. A lot of my joy comes from building successful personal projects.
- Favorite portfolio items or blog posts: Building Columbia University Film Festival Website, this Zebra Art print, and the Interviews and Photography I did on Creative Professionals in New Orleans through goINVADE.
- Hugest challenge in going FT: Facing the fear that you could fail publicly. I had to continually tell myself, if this doesn’t work I am not a failure.
- Tools I can’t function without: Freshbooks, Paypal, Stripe, Adobe Creative Suite
- Best platforms to promote my business: Referrals: PR agencies, friends, and past clients; cold emails; and Social Media
- Why working for myself is important to me: At the beginning, working for yourself is almost primal. You hunt and eat what you kill. But once you find your niche, it becomes much more fun and fulfilling. I can go the grocery store at 3:00pm. I don’t have to ask anyone to take a vacation. And I make much more money than when I worked for someone else.